5/1/14

Bet your bottom dollar

"Play the orphan song again (Annie)!!!"

and...

"I know why you put this movie on (Stuart Little.) It's cause he's a foster kid, too." (Oops, nope. P. S. You have NO idea how many movies and songs are about orphans until you become a foster parent.)

and...

"You know the people who took me away from my mom and dad? They're you guys. It's called CPS. That's why the kids couldn't go back. I can't even go back."

These are just some of the things we hear on a daily basis and they've become part of our new "normal."

Our Little Lady is still trying to wrap her head around her new "normal," after being with us for four weeks (today.)

Some things are becoming very familiar to her and I see her catch herself when she talks about "her" house, and "her" dog, and "her" toys. Sometimes she chooses to correct herself and sometimes she doesn't.

I'm laying under her bunk right now listening to her serenade herself to sleep...

"When you're in an orphanage...It's a hard knock life for us, it's a hard knock life for us....when you're in an orphanage...it's a hard knock life."

These are the only words she knows to the song. It's a beautiful and a surreal thing to listen to her tiny voice sing these lyrics about a little girl's situation that's just a little too similar to her own.

I'm not exactly sure what's running through her mind while she's singing, but I hope she at least knows how much we love her and that we'd do pretty much anything to make her understand that.

LL's quotes:
- "I need to shave."
- "I don't remember all the bad things I do. I only remember the good things I do."
- "I think I'll get sweet tea. It's more lady like for a little girl in a white dress to get sweet tea, right?"
- "Where's ms. Jan? She ditched you."
- LL: "My friend Ashley told me Trevor likes me. And she never lies." Me: "What does that mean that he likes you?" LL: "It means I was looking at him and I always know where he is." Me: "Umm ok." LL: "Are you jealous??" Me: "Nope." LL: "I'm jealous that you have a husband and I don't."
- "If you were a responsible 14 yr old, you'd be able to take care of me."
- "My nana is kinda big. She's poofy. She ate too much candy."
- (Guy passing us on a motorcycle.) "He nailed it!"

Dinner at Chicken Express with Jan!


Photo booth fun at Bry's fine arts festival at his school! 


Playing dress up in Bry's office! 

Dancing on stage after the concert. 

"If this were my classroom, I would be a good listener in this seat right here."

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

About Us: 

We began our foster journey in mid-August 2013. We finished our classes in October, had our home study in early January, and we were licensed on February 7, 2014. After seven calls from CPS, we received our first placement, a 7-year-old girl (our Little Lady, or LL for short) on April 3, 2014. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our journey through the craziness that is foster care. Most importantly, thanks for your prayers, love, and support. We hope to encourage fellow foster/adoptive parents as we document our ups and downs each day. 

Key Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.