4/3/14

Day 1 with our Little Lady

About 9 hours ago, we got the call (call #7) that will inevitably change everything for, what will most likely be, the next 6-18 months of our lives. 

As you may have read in my last post, we started to seriously lower our expectations with each placement call we received. So, when I heard the agency rep talking about a 7-year old girl who was in need of placement tonight, I was hopeful, but cautious. We accepted the placement and then waited to hear back from him. About an hour later, I heard the phrase, "CPS has selected you for placement," stream through the phone. The next few hours are already a little blurry. 

I remember driving home. I remember flying through the kitchen - throwing dishes in the dishwasher and cleaning moving stacks of mail. I remember Brian leaving to pick up groceries so we'd have more food in the house than candy

I waited for what seemed like forever to hear from CPS. With every minute that passed, it felt like our chance of receiving the placement was slipping further and further from reality. I thought we'd receive a phone call, but instead, I happened to see a car park in front of our house, and then I knew. 

I wish I was making this up, but what happened next was almost EXACTLY like I'd watched play out in movies and on TV. The CPS case worker even had cardboard filing boxes lined up in the back of her car, just like I had envisioned.

Another car pulled up after her and I watched the social worker and our Little Lady walk out of their car (and into our lives), holding one bag filled with some clothes and a clown puppet hanging by a few strings. The first words she said to me were, "I'll only be here for two days, right?" (Within a few hours of being here, she asked if she could stay till she was 13. Why 13, you ask? Oh, apparently that's when she's going to college...so she says.) :)

The next part is definitely a blur.

For the next two hours, we signed about a billion forms (and 3 copies of each.) The Little Lady played with her doll next to us while we learned more about her situation and what our role is in her life. I could see her trying to place us in her eyes. Where do we fit in her little world? Only time will tell.

Within the first few hours of being a parent, I was already having to tell this precious child that no, sorry, we can't buy a teeny tiny bikini even if every other girl she knows has one. And no, we actually don't need to buy a bra today. :) Things are moving pretty quickly around here.

Just to recap a few of the things we heard today, here are a few of her quotes. Enjoy!
  • Yeah, it's been a long day. A weird, long day.
  • The Google lady is smarter than Siri.
  • Cherry chapstick makes you smell like fruit.
  • I'm going to put socks in my purse just in case. 
  • I'm from the country. Nothing hurts. 

I'm laying below her right now in the bottom bunk. I promised her I'd stay here till she fell asleep. I haven't peed since 1:00 this afternoon and I've only eaten two bites of chicken, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else right now.

I'm listening to her breathe in deeply.

She sounds peaceful. And safe.

And home.


Please excuse Bry's strange, deformed head. Oh, and the large smiley face blocking this beautiful girl's smile! Sorry - we aren't allowed to share her name or photos. :( (How is a photographer supposed to survive without being able to post photos!??!?!? Oh well, it's a small price to pay!)

Before we even have 24 hours to be parents, we'll be enrolling her in classes to begin 1st grade on Monday. Most people would have about as long as it takes to pay off a nice car before they send their little one off to school.

We have minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. The adventure begins... couldn't be happier for you three. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing for all of you. She will soon find out how special she is and how great God is for bringing you both into her life at this stage of her young Life. I'm so excited for all of you, let the journey begin.... prayers for an easy adjustment and a happy family. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Her quotes! hahaha! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog today and love it! My husband and I are foster parents, five months into our first placement right now, two little kids. I laughed out loud when you said in this post how you hadn't peed or eaten. That was me our first few days EXACTLY. Also the rushing home, "cleaning", signing a bajillion papers... Blessings for your family!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.