7/11/14

What we tried to build

So, I know I've been a little quiet around here over the last few days. After writing every single night for almost 100 days, I finally stopped writing for a few nights.

Let me explain.

As I read through a few posts, I realized that 90% of the last 10-15 posts I'd written felt genuine, but also a little superficial, and I felt sick of myself talking about "how fun" something was, or "how funny" something was, or "how great" something was.

I realized that I've started to cover some of my real feelings with stories of cuteness, and greatness, and happiness.  

The reason we began this blog was to document the ups and downs we experience on a day-to-day basis in foster care. When we were first thinking about becoming foster parents, we searched Mr. Google for weeks trying to find a blog that would just lay out what it was really like to be foster parents from the beginning to end of a placement (specifically of older children who can talk, think, and fight for themselves.) We couldn't find one, so we decided to create one ourselves.

As the weeks, and then months, passed, it became harder to publicly spill my guts - in front of friends, family, and strangers alike. I guess I wanted people to see all the "good" stuff that went on in our lives (who doesn't?) Not the stuff that makes being a parent harder than I ever imagined. Not the stuff that makes spouses jealous of each other and second guess every decision we make.

I wanted to share the nice, funny, sweet moments.

Not the awful ones.

Like the time LL stung me with, "You don't like kids, do you?" (I know now that this was a technique she used early on to put up a wall between the two of us.) That one was hard not to take personally. It still hurts to this day if I let myself think about it for too long.

Or all the times I've picked her up from daycare and she didn't even say hi or give me a hug, but instead asked why Bry couldn't pick her up. (I understand now that when she came to us, she had space for him in her heart...there was space reserved for a strong, fun, supportive male figure to show her love. There wasn't room for a mom. She's still trying to figure out where I belong.) I understand it, but it still hurts.

Or how about the 5,000 times LL has compared something I've done to how her mom would do it, or say it, or hear it. And I'm left screaming in my head, "If your mom was so great, why are you here?" Obviously, I'd never say anything like this to her, and I know this is perfectly normal, but it still hurts. If I was forced to live with another family when I was 7 years old, I'm sure I'd compare everything they did to the way my parents did things. And I'm sure I'd think that my parents had done everything the "right" way, no matter how wrong they were.

We don't have the privilege that bio parents do, where our child loves us unconditionally, no matter what. We've had to earn every single drop of affection, trust, or love LL has expressed to us. And we're running out of time to pour into her and to build, what we hope to be, a reciprocal, lifelong relationship.

If LL's case goes one way (and one way only), we may be able to write openly about our true emotions and experiences someday. However, we will most likely never be able to share these stories publicly.

It feels somewhat coward-ish to advertise a blog for foster-parents-to-be when we can not disclose enough information to express what it is really like to raise someone else's children.

Now I understand why it was so hard to find a blog like the one we tried to build.

LL's quotes:
- Me: "Your nose is peeling." LL: "Yup. That skin is 7 years old. It's time for something new."

56 cent night at IHOP on Tuesday night! Yes, please!

LL and I went to the mall on Wednesday night to spend some of her vacation money, but she forgot it at home, so I did a little shopping for myself instead. 

"I look regal with these lions!"

Walking down the runway in Sweet and Sassy. The sparkly shirt she's wearing seems fitting. 

After her bath last night, she came into our room like this and said, "I have some official FBI business that I'm on right now. I heard you have a dog hiding in here without a collar on. I'll need to take her in." Never a dull moment with this little one!!

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

About Us: 

We began our foster journey in mid-August 2013. We finished our classes in October, had our home study in early January, and we were licensed on February 7, 2014. After seven calls from CPS, we received our first placement, a 7-year-old girl (our Little Lady, or LL for short) on April 3, 2014. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our journey through the craziness that is foster care. Most importantly, thanks for your prayers, love, and support. We hope to encourage fellow foster/adoptive parents as we document our ups and downs each day. 

Key Posts:

7 comments:

  1. Ah, Julie. My heart hurts with yours. It's a long journey for a mom, I sometimes wonder if my heart will ever let go off some of the things said to me. It is the most heartbreaking thing to love someone so much and for them to not be able to reciprocate it because they feel loyal to a biological mom and they cannot figure out how to love both in their hearts. Prayers for you all dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. I know it may take a lifetime for her to understand where we fit in her little world. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, My name is Lisa. I stumbled across your blog two weeks ago and i have read every post, many out loud to my husband Brian. My husband and I are in the process of being certified and are almost done and I was looking for real life experiences. So many of your posts in the beginning are my heart spoken out loud. You are your husband could be mine and my husbands siblings. We do not have children, we have lost five pregnancies. We love deeply and easily and still very much have the desire to have a house full of children. I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your blogs, your honesty, your humor, your love for God, and your passion. You are beautiful inside and out and I feel like God guided me here. In regard to this recent post, I feel your heart and your pain and I am so sorry but know that God is using you, not just in LL's life but in every person that is stumbling across your blog. You are a shining example. I pray for you and your family, I pray for LL that her heart is softened and healed and that she learns to know what it truly is to feel love and accept it. I only hope that we can be as good of foster parents as you and Brian are~

    sorry I deleted the previous post because of a spelling error :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you so much for sharing your story and your heart! My heart broke for you when I read that you've lost 5 little ones. I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you and your husband have chosen to foster. What you hear is true - we can never have too many great foster parents! If you have any questions about the licensing process, feel free to email me at jnhills@gmail.com. Thanks so much for your encouragement. It gave me the motivation I needed to keep writing tonight. :)

      Delete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.