4/26/14

Traveling by cartwheel

Why walk when you can cartwheel or skip? This little one is constantly in mid-air everywhere we go. I love watching her in these moments. No, I don't love thinking about the germs that are probably on the sidewalk from the bottom of people's shoes, but I can't help but smile when I see her hopping along, cartwheeling until she's dizzy. 

She is fearless. And carefree. And childlike. It's a beautiful thing. 

When will she decide that skipping, jumping, and cartwheeling are no longer a feasible means of traveling? I pray everyday that our Little Lady holds fast to this innocent spirit for as long as she can. 

We had an awesome, but long day! It started with the Fiesta parade downtown, then a trip to the Alamo, lunch with my parents, and dinner with my extended family. 

LL's quotes: 
- (This story is shared with my beautiful cousin Kelly's permission!) LL: "Why are you in a wheelchair?" Kelly: "Because I can't walk." LL: "Everyone should learn how to walk!" I could tell that she seemed genuinely concerned about this, so I explained that Kelly isn't in pain and that she's ok. Then she asked, "But how is she going to get in her bed?" We have a long road ahead of us to work with LL on how to interact and talk about people who are different than her. We've had many conversations about how to talk about people from other races and cultures. And now we'll add physical disabilities to the list. 
- "Oh yeah, this one is the right one. It smells better." (In reference to the port-o-potty at the Fiesta parade.)
- Me: "How do you know this song? This isn't really a kids' song." LL: "My nana used to sing this to me. It's on VH1. How could anyone not know that?"
- "You know you're in the country if you see broken soccer nets."
- "That's the romance table. There are candles."


This picture alone makes the $25 we spent on parking completely worth it. 




Best buds!

One lucky lady. Dad turned on the juke box for her and even let her push the buttons to choose the songs she wanted to hear! 


Watching the cats hunt for mice and birds. 

Dancing the night away! 




*******************************************************************************************************************************************

About Us: 

We began our foster journey in mid-August 2013. We finished our classes in October, had our home study in early January, and we were licensed on February 7, 2014. After seven calls from CPS, we received our first placement, a 7-year-old girl (our Little Lady, or LL for short) on April 3, 2014. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our journey through the craziness that is foster care. Most importantly, thanks for your prayers, love, and support. We hope to encourage fellow foster/adoptive parents as we document our ups and downs each day. 

Key Posts:

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...should I be concerned that you can't see me in my wheelchair in any of the photos??? :p LL is SO adorable and it was wonderful meeting her! I'm glad she felt comfortable enough to just come out and ask me all those questions! :) Totally unexpected...but expected at the same time...if that makes sense ;)

    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly- I'm thinking maybe it didn't load correctly, but there's one of you above the caption "dancing the night away!" :) love you. Thanks for being so patient and loving with LL!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah I saw that one...but in all the ones of us at the table, it looks like there's no one in the wheelchair. Ha!

      -Kelly

      Delete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.