7/5/14

Spill the beans

We began the 15 hour trip home this morning, but we went north to Cheyenne first before heading south to Texas. It was a short 3-4 hour trip, and while we wish it could've been longer, it was still great to see family. 

I was worried about how our Little Lady would handle being in the car for 30 hours within a few days. She has done surprisingly well so far. 

During our drive this morning, she kept asking Bry to tell her stories about him getting in trouble when he was a little boy. Each time, after he would finish one story, she would say it again, "Spill more beans. Give me more dirt! Tell me more!!" 

Some of my favorite stories included him walking to the grocery store when he was 4 years old because he missed his mom, running a mile in the snow to school because he missed the bus (in kindergarten), and the time he wrote Josh's name on the outside of the apartment building in crayon (even though Josh was a baby and couldn't even walk yet.) 

This is the same man who can describe, in detail, the TWO times he had to move his clip in elementary school for misbehaving. (I'll spill the beans...the first was for forgetting to do his homework and the second was for pulling a chair out from underneath a girl in 5th grade.)

I wish that was the extent of my "spill the beans" stories. Unfortunately, I rebelled against my family and God for several years before realizing I could do nothing on my own and everything with Him on my side. 

As I mentioned a few days ago, I see glimpses of LL's character and personality in the future and I can only pray and hope that she finds peace and rest, worth and value in the Lord, and not in anything else. 

Ironically, as I am writing this right now, LL just asked from the back seat, "Can you tell me your beans over again?"

I can only hope that someday, when she's telling her kids her "spill the bean" stories, she won't have much to say. I know this is a lot to ask, but I can hope, right?  

Please limit your beans stories, little one. You'll be grateful for it someday, if you do. 

LL's quotes: 
- Me (thinking she was talking about captains): "They probably went to college so they'd have more opportunities in life." LL: "Pirates don't go to college, Ms. Julie!" 
- Bry: "Spongebob is older than you." LL: "I'm gonna catch up to him."
- LL: "Nobody here has a Colorado license plate." Grandma: "That's because you're in good ol' Wyoming." Bry: "Yeah, Wyoming is God's country!" LL: "No! Texas is God's country!"
- "This place must be fancy. There isn't even gum under the table."
- "I'm addicted to coffee and Jesus."

Packing up and heading out. :(

So long, Riverside. You treated us well! 

Cuddling with Emma at McD's. 

We made it to Bry's hometown! 





And we made it to Grandma's! 


No grandma house would be complete without a pool table in the basement! 

I taught LL how to play pool. 

We went to visit Grandpa at the hospital. He's recovering really well! 

Saying goodbye. :(

Before leaving town, we had to take LL downtown to experience Cheyenne! 



Mexican food for lunch, again. This makes my heart happy! 

"The Iron Horse."


At the train depot. 

One ticket home, please. 

Passing the time while Bry drives through the high plains.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

About Us: 

We began our foster journey in mid-August 2013. We finished our classes in October, had our home study in early January, and we were licensed on February 7, 2014. After seven calls from CPS, we received our first placement, a 7-year-old girl (our Little Lady, or LL for short) on April 3, 2014. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our journey through the craziness that is foster care. Most importantly, thanks for your prayers, love, and support. We hope to encourage fellow foster/adoptive parents as we document our ups and downs each day. 

Key Posts:

4 comments:

  1. Awwww...the pool table in the basement almost made me cry! So many great memories of us in Papa and Grandmother's basement! :)

    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that too! While we were playing, she asked me how I got so good at playing pool (good???? Hahahaha). I told her it was because I spent hundreds of hours practicing with my cousins. :) Love you!

      Delete
  2. Cheyenne produces some nice husbands, huh? Mark used to work at the Wrangler. He'll get excited to see all your pictures when I share them with him. Oh and his grandma lives there too! (Well on the ranch outside town) totally serious about Anderson/Hills retirement together out west...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally there with you, Jordan. Let's make it happen!

      Delete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.