8/26/14

All hail the Warrior Princess

Tonight's events could be summed up into 4 words (5 if you're a grammar snob and you want to include the contraction):

Love isn't a contest.

This wasn't the first conversation we've had with our Little Lady about what love is and how we show love to each other. She's made several comments over the last few months that brought us to the conclusion that she's still learning what love is. God's definition of the word, that is.

While sharing our highs and lows over dinner (our nightly tradition), I shared that my low was that I didn't think LL really, truly understood how much we love her. She responded with, "Yeah, I don't know. My parents love me more than you." We tried to explain that it isn't a contest and that she's allowed to have many people who love her. Just because we love her like crazy, it doesn't mean that her parents love her any less.

I don't think we'd made much progress by the end of the conversation, but I'm sure little pieces of it are stuck in her brain. All I can hope for now is that she'll take these little pieces and put it all together someday and realize how much we really do love her.

LL's quotes:
- "I feel like I'm at overnight daycare until my mom and dad get off work and they can come pick me up." I suppose...if daycare lasted 144 days.

I came home to the "Warrior Princess" (as she called herself) dancing around her bedroom - face paint, hula skirt, Peter Pan boots and all. This seems bizarre, until you realize that she does this almost weekly during her therapy sessions with her court-appointed therapist. Ms. S. is so good with her. She's learned to sit back, enjoy the show, and talk to the Warrior Princess about life and about her feelings between sword fights and decorating sock monkeys and fancy rocks. As you can probably tell, she loves talking about her feelings. :/

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

About Us: 

We began our foster journey in mid-August 2013. We finished our classes in October, had our home study in early January, and we were licensed on February 7, 2014. After seven calls from CPS, we received our first placement, a 7-year-old girl (our Little Lady, or LL for short) on April 3, 2014. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about our journey through the craziness that is foster care. Most importantly, thanks for your prayers, love, and support. We hope to encourage fellow foster/adoptive parents as we document our ups and downs each day. 

Key Posts:
Oasis (post from Brian)
Why I don't usually write (post from Brian)

LL...if you just stumbled upon this blog and you're freaking out because you see pictures of yourself, please START HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.