10/12/13

Surprise Shower!!!


Yup, this happened today! I have the best friends and family EVER!!! Let's start from the beginning...

Around noon today, Bry insisted that we get out of the house and go on a lunch date. Afterwards, he seemed to be carefree and tied to absolutely no kind of schedule. At least, that's how it appeared. :) After driving around and shopping for a bit, we decided to head home. 

I noticed that our garage door was closing when we drove behind the street. First red flag. I thought it must've been my mother-in-law (Jan), and I didn't really think much about it after that. We drove around the other side of the alley - second red flag - and as we approached the driveway, I saw my MOTHER in her Sequoia in my driveway. Sideways. Third red flag. However, being Ms. Completely Non-Observant, I still didn't think much about it. My parents and I love to go back and forth randomly surprising each other by just showing up at each other's houses. I just thought she came to see me. For no reason at all. I was caught off guard, and I couldn't remember what I had planned to do this weekend, but I remember thinking I was busy...I asked Bry, "Quick - what am I doing this weekend? I can't even remember." Apparently I have a memory issue because I can't even remember what he told me. 

As we opened the door, I was shocked to see friends and family shouting, "Surprise!" behind a bar filled with cake, sandwiches and THREE types of mac 'n cheese!! Needless to say, I was completely in shock. 


I've never been on the receiving end of a surprise party, so this was a totally new emotion for me. It felt strange to not know everything I'd be doing the rest of the day or even the rest of the weekend. I can already feel the Lord working on my heart in simple times like this..."You're not in charge. You don't have to be. Let me lead you. I will be your guide." Sorry, I digress....

What followed was several hours of laughter, chasing babies and a dog around the house, catching up with old friends, opening presents, and repeating more times than I can remember, "Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. I can't believe this!" 

The details of the story of this shower began to unfold and I discovered that my sweet Jilly Bean was behind it all! With lots of help from Jan, Chrys, Lori, my momma, and Bry, of course! 

We feel overwhelmed with love and support. We haven't even finalized everything or become licensed yet, but it is so clear to me that we are not alone. We have a strong community of friends and family who are ready and willing to support us as we take one step of faith at a time. Right now, that support looks like lying through their teeth to get me to reschedule my plans and shower us with gifts. Someday (rather soon), it might look like bringing by old toys and puzzles or pulling out kids bikes from their attic to bless a kiddo in need. 

I can only hope that we'll be able to reciprocate the love and support, or at least pay it forward to someone who needs us. 

We love all of you so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making today unforgettable. I will cherish these memories forever!!!


The unicorn and superhero hooded towels... :)

2 comments:

  1. i'm so happy it went off without a hitch. i bet you were floored to see your mom there, aww. that's so great! those ladies really ran with the idea jillian had... and all to bless you two so much :)

    i hope you felt super loved and surrounded by support and that you always do!

    muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie- I was definitely shocked to see my momma! The shower was perfect. Wish you could've been there!!!!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.