1/6/14

A Different Kind of Resolution

We're about 6 days into the new year already. It seems only fitting that we should post something in writing about our "goals" or "resolutions" for 2014. The  problem with this is whatever I come up with would pale in comparison to what the Lord has in store for us this year. I could list a lot of resolutions like eat less (which I probably should), move more (which I know I should), or go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday (ha!)

I'd rather hand over the year and watch what God does in our home and in our marriage instead. This sounds simple enough, but don't. get. me. wrong! This is actually going to be a huge struggle for me.

In approximately 72 hours, I will hit the big 3-0. Yup, I'm only hours away from entering a new decade. When I was in my mid-twenties (sorry, I'm really not trying to sound so pretentious), I made this little pact with God...I just wanted one kid before I turned 30. I gave Him like 5 whole years to make it happen. I figured I was being overly generous. Birthday #26 rolled around, then 27, 28, 29, and I started to get pretty neurotic nervous. The birthday wish that flew threw the spit over my 29th birthday cake was more like an ultimatum than a wish (sorry for the awful visual.) "Alright, you've got about a year to make this happen, God. Remember our deal?" 

(Birthday #28)

(Birthday #29 - my husband has an affinity for fire, as you can see in this picture, and this one:) 



Birthday #30 will inevitably roll by this week and I'll probably replay the scene in my head from the movie Two Weeks Notice, "Baby? What baby?" My birthday wish this year will turn into more of a prayer and a plea than a wish, a goal, or a "resolution."

I will memorize and repeat this verse, spoken by Jesus himself, until it's so engrained in my head and in my heart that I can do nothing else but believe it's God-spoken message:

"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers - most of which are never even seen - don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met." Matthew 6:30-33, The Message Version

Have I been so concerned with the getting part of life that I missed out on some of the giving

With a new year comes a sense of naïvety and hope that this year will be better than the last. Like any normal person, of course there are a few things I have in mind that I'd love to see happen in 2014. However, my prayer is that this year, more than ever before, I will seek this "God-reality" and respond to the giving. I will listen carefully and watch intently to see how He's prompting me to give. Maybe it will be with my time, my money, my compassion. Whatever it is, I hope to see my little corner of the world with some bigger God-reality glasses this year and attempt to out-give and out-love with every opportunity I'm given for His glory, and not my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.